This project is read-only.

Austin on Iconia W510 - Direct X Problem

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to get Austin working on my W510. The problem is: I can compile, but then the app hangs. After a couple of time it says "Direct X 11 is needed", altough Direct X11 is properly installed.

Theres a patch for ARM, where the Direct X dependency is lowered to 9, but my x86 can't run it. What changes need to be done in the x86 version to lower the DX dependency or, vice versa, what changes does the ARM version need to run on 86? Or, better: How can Austin recognize the installed DX11 properly?

There's no other good inking app out there!

Thanks in advance

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Hi ytecs,

I haven't seen this behavior before.

When you run dxdiag, on the Display tab, what does the 'Feature Levels' say?

The Austin project does not require DirectX Feature Level 11. However, it requires DirectX 11 to be present on the machine. Any machine running Windows 8 should have DirectX 11 present.

The Austin project for x86/x64 require DirectX Feature Level 10 or higher.

When Austin is run under the debugger, where does it break?

The ARM patch should not help in your scenario since the W510 is not ARM-based (I assume it's the Lenovo W510). Also, we did not do as much testing on the ARM version as what we did for the x86/x64, so I wouldn't recommend using the ARM version unless you want to explore performance on an ARM device.

thanks,

George Mileka

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Hi George,

altough the ARM version is - well, ARM, i was able to compile it by just copying the x86 dependencies to the project folder and changing the build settings to x86. Austin runs, but slow, and crashes often.

The x86 version doesn't run. I guess, the GMA 3650 has no driver supporting DirectX feature level higher than 9, but not sure and stil figuring out where the problem could be.

Oh, and no, its not the Lenovo W510, it's the Acer Iconia W510. Posting here if I'm sure where the problem with DirectX is. The Card should be able to do feature level 10, DirectX ist installed. Investigating...

Greetings,

ytecs